Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nap Time


For about three months I have been putting Joseph down for his naps in his high chair. I give him his lunch and turn on some soft music and then I leave the room. Anywhere from 5 minutes to a half hour does the trick. It all started when he moved to a big boy bed and realized he didn't HAVE to do anything. So rather than listening to him scream and kick the door for an hour or an hour and a half I just trick him into relaxation then move him to his bed. The method has some major flaws like if Daddy comes home for lunch and walks into the kitchen just as he is dozing off, or if he is not hungry at nap time and will not get into his high chair happily, or if he is in possession of anything that could be a toy, or if I unthinkingly give him a popsicle- sugar high, or if he just does not want to fall asleep for some strange reason, not to mention the fact that I have to stay out of sight and sound for the time it takes for him to fall asleep. Like I said, the method has some MAJOR FLAWS and I can't imagine that it will last much longer but can you blame me for trying?

10 comments:

Michelle Knight said...

Not at all! I'm all about doing whatever you have to do to get through the day. I've been known to use lunch time as a way to get little boys to sleep myself, and have also taken numerous drives before nap time, hoping for them to doze off. If it gets him to sleep, even just sometimes, it's great!

Debbie said...

That is so funny. Or not funny depending on how you look at it. Personally, I live in fear of when Clark learns to crawl out of the crib (or it's time to switch to the "big boy bed"). I'm sure you know where I'm coming from, but Clark has a hard time staying still long enough to wind down. Sometimes in church as Clark is writhing and sqealing (late for his nap) I see those little boys/girls who have fallen asleep on their mother/father's shoulder and I wonder how tired he would have to be for that to really happen...

Becky said...

that is a brillianat idea. looks like a pretty comfy highchair. wouldn't that be nice if we could take naps after meal time? oh to be a kid again.

MARIE said...

That is Hilarious! Anything that works. That's what I say. BTW, We missed you last night at our Twilight party.

Ashlea said...

That picture is awesome, Lacy. Whatever works, Right? A lot of times I have to put Grace it the car and drive just for her to sleep. The naps are getting less and less, which is scary for me!!

The Nielsen Family said...

This story is hilarious because as moms we will try to do anything possible to make naptime a) happen and b) last as long as possible. I have created some flawed habits as well.

Chris said...

hey lacy...check out my blog...lowry-fam.blogspot.com

Katie said...

HI LACY!!! It's your long lost friend Katie. I found your blog via Lily and Ross'. Looks like life is good and you are as beautiful as ever. Spencer and I are in UT and are EXPECTING! Check out our blog:
http://skhill.blogspot.com

Miss you!

Katie

Unknown said...

Hey Lacy-

I can't believe how big your kids have gotten. Your blogging is truely impressive. Now that we have our baby, I have just started one for our family, but i'm not sure if it's ready for all to see. I would love to talk to you soon. Hope your holiday season is going well. Miss you lots
Susan Richeson

Shannon said...

this is my favorite post ever! i think it's so cute and funny! and yes our dog adventures are completely irrational but having kids kinda are too right?jk