Monday, October 22, 2007

The Heat Goes On


This morning I met up with a group of girls from church and their fun kids to visit a pumpkin patch not too far from here. It was a very nice little place with white canopies set up as shelter from the sun. Yes, in this part of the country even late October will find you drenched in sweat as you walk slowly around some pumpkins. Joseph ran and I watched and made sure he did not get into any trouble. There was a pretty red tractor that took us on a hayride. We wound through the property, and the various palms as we waited for the driver to pick up enough speed to give us a little bit of a breeze and dry our sweaty faces. After the hayride we made our way to the story reading tent as more sweat poured in the shade and shelter. The story book reader did her best to ignore Joseph as he climbed all over her various assortment of pumpkins serving as visual aids. Then off to the coloring tent. Joseph and I had a good time as we colored a scarecrow green and orange. Just as the humidity dropped a little and the breeze picked up my children gave me the signal that they were hungry and ready to go. Alas, our damp clothes would have to dry in the airconditioned mini-van. Every year this is the time that the humidity just kills me. At times the air is so thick it lookes like it is drizzling but it is not. When it should be cooling off and SOME parts of SOME days feel like they are, when the rest of the country is happily pulling out their long sleeves and maybe even a sweater, when the evening air should feel crisp and cool, when the pools are closed and there is truly no relief, the heat goes on. I live in a swamp. Some days it cools and the air lightens, most days it is only for a moment and then back to what it wants to be. Swamp-like. I'm sorry but it's true. Some girls love the swamp. Their skin glistens and the hair remains silky and smooth. They love the heat and that it gives them the chance to show off their beautiful long limbs. Honestly, it makes me feel soggy, and frizzy, and completely miserable. I think that if I can overcome this challenge in my life (it sounds so stupid to say it is a "challenge in my life" but it IS!) I will be able to get over anything. How does someone who loves to be outdoors and do out of doors things live in a place that can best be enjoyed through a closed window?


5 comments:

Michelle Knight said...

Lacy, I feel your pain! After Arizona's heat and Florida's humidity, I sometimes wonder if I'll ever live somewhere with (gasp) four seasons! But I'm glad you're here, putting up with it too. You're a great person, and I'm so glad to know you.

MARIE said...

Lacy, so true. Fall is the time where I wish to be back in Utah where it's not too cold but crisp and cool like you said. But then when winter comes I want to be back in Florida. ( :

Heidi said...

Lacy you are hilarious!! I got a good chuckle out of your post!! You are a great writer, I loved it!!

Lillie said...

Oh Lace- that was like the funniest post yet. I was laughing pretty good in my quiet Sophia's-over-half-way-through-her-nap voice. I feel for you-- we don't have the humidity, but this 98 degree October with my gynormous belly and constantly glistening face have had me at my wit's end. SO sorry sista.

The Nielsen Family said...

Matt is laughing right now and saying, "Sounds like she is really enjoying Florida. The sad thing is she has no hope of leaving Florida. (laugh, laugh) Oh, that is sad." And then he added, "Sorry Lacy" after he saw me typing this. I (this is Amber now) can't even imagine being in sweaty weather right now. Oh the joys. I hope your family is doing okay in San Diego. Did they ever get evacuated?