Friday, March 9, 2007

Sleep Deprivation

It's funny how no matter how tired I am at 4:30 in the afternoon I will never go to bed early like I swear I am going to. This past week was especially difficult with Joseph's ongoing sleep issues. (I think I hear him waking up now). We had maybe six good months of easy to bed and easy to go back to bed if he ever woke up. But the past few weeks it seems he has returned to old habits. A major problem seems to be that he inherited his fathers' (1) poor drainage in his ears and (2) allergies to common pollens, etc. So, every time he gets a cold or has congestion due to allergies he also gets a roaring ear infection. Today I took Joseph to the doctor and found out that we are currently on his 8th ear infection in a year. According to Joseph's pediatrician that qualifies him for tubes in the ears. Even after everything he went through as a newborn I still have reservations about him being "put under" in order to complete this simple proceedure. My one comfort is knowing that once he has the tubes his incidence of ear infections should greatly reduce and therefore, I will not have to face the dilema of whether or not to give him yet another antibiotic. Is it really necessary to put him on antibiotics? Will it clear up on it's own? Shouldn't the body have natural deffenses to combat infection, so aren't we doing it a disservice by interfering? Does any other mother out there have these feelings when they are told to put their child on an antibiotic? When I express these doubts some people look at me like I am an idiot to question what my doctor says and there are a very few who say "yes, it is a complicated issue. Let's talk." And then there is that lonely soul who says, "No- don't give antibiotics ever, just use natural remedies. Oh, and don't vaccinate either." Sometimes I think life would be easier if I didn't question or think critically about my own medical care or that of my child. But, that's just not me. To set the record straight I always end up giving Joseph the antibiotic mostly out of fear that he wont get better and will experience more pain than is fair for a 19 month old. And because this affects my sleep and sanity so directly.

5 comments:

Lillie said...

I didn't know Joe had poor ear drainage. What does that mean in a grown man? Does he get ear infections?

You know the whole antibiotic thing has me totally freaked out right now too. Decisions. Yuck. Trust all doctors just because they're doctors? Heck no.

Ok wait...you didn't tell me they would have to put Joseph under. Is that just a given with getting tubes in his ears? Oh Lace- yuck. At least you already know he's a warrior.

Becky said...

i am so sorry to hear about joseph's 8th ear infection. if i were you i would probably give him the antibiotic. i would want to do anything that would make him feel better and allowmore sleep.

rachelle said...

Don't ever feel like you can't question a doctor. You're a mom, and sometimes instincts are proven better than education. And, doctor's are not perfect. They see a million people a day; sometimes the littlest things are clearly overlooked.

Now that I'm an adult, and eventually will be a mommy, the thought of tubes kinda freak me out. However, as a kid, I knew so many other kids who had them, and I was like, oh okay. My best advice is to pray about it - mostly that you can trust the doctor to be making an educated decision. I'm sure he is, but I understand what you're saying. :) Eight in one year is a LOT!!!

Laci said...

Hi Lacy...it's Laci Olmstead! Love your blog and reading about your fun life in Florida. We lived in Miami (kendall) for a short 6 months during some of Brian's rotations for Med school. I really loved it! So, on to your dilema. I KNOW it stinks! Here's my input. Brian is a pediatrician, he's not perfect (although almost ;) no doctor is, BUT from my experience AND his, tubes are really the way to go when you're battling something like your situation. Ears aren't something to mess with. True hearing loss can occur if it's not taken care of. My 3rd girl is on her THIRD set of tubes. Yes, she's probably going to be dealing with this for another 5 or so years. Or at least until she grows enough and can protect her gestation tubes. She has a super high palate, had sucking issues as a baby, has a bi-fid uvula and so on....We caught things a little late with her because she just had fluid that sat in her tubes without getting infected. Once it did start acting up, she had 40% hearing loss. Hence the reason she was BARELY talking at 2. So, we got on it and she was in speech therapy for a year and now is TOTALLY normal and ok. No one has a clue that anything ever was wrong. It was a blessing for us to get the tubes....huge difference. THEN, my baby has like 8 infections by 10 months and also got tubes. Totally rips your heart out as a mommy, but it is so worth not dealing with the infections and antibiotics. My baby is 2 next week and she's been fabulous with just the one set. (the tubes are short term and fall out within a year) And to answer Lillie's question...yes, they have to be put under for the surgery. It completely freaked me out the first few times and now I have realized what a very simple procedure it really is. Here is why:
1-the surgery itself is only about 10 minutes
2-the first ear is done before they are even asleep, just groggy and the second ear is done just as they're getting into a deeper state
3-the recovery is unreal! Seriously, they will cry a LITTLE coming out of anesthesia, sleep for a bit more at home or in the car and then act 100% normal. I was expecting the first time to be an all day taking care of baby kind of day and it was NOT, at all. They're running around crazy in just a matter of hours (or less)
Oh no, I've really gone on. Sorry. I just know SO VERY WELL what you're feeling. It's honestly one of the hardest things I've dealt with. Ears!!! As you can tell, I wouldn't hesitate one minute if that's what your doctor is suggesting. Ironically, I avoid docs at all cost except for ouchy ears...it breaks my heart to have them in pain. Oh, and my oldest 2 girls NEVER had one ear infection...ever. So strange! Hope this helps :)

Missy said...

Lacy, I am so sorry about Joesph's ear infections. So terrible and hard! And the sleep deprivation is TOUGH. I hope he starts feeling better. Maybe you should come out to California for a visit so it's a little more dry for him!

Oh and I'm totally with you on the antibiotics thing. You give them, but there is always hesitation before. I'm like that with every going to the doctor as well.