Sunday, February 15, 2009

Valentine's Day?

My gift to Joe for Valentine's Day was to allow him to take me shooting. Yeah, like guns. I am completely uncomfortable around them but my husband is of the variety that believes that it is, 1) every American's right to own one and, 2) if more people owned and carried guns fewer crazies would get away with killing mass numbers of people on college campuses, etc. So I did what any good wife would do, forbade him to buy one and when he bought it anyway, I forgave him. (Sigh.)



To Joe's disappointment this was the only picture that I took of him shooting.  To be honest, I thought about getting up and walking behind him and taking a few close ups looking down the barrel of the gun or at his target or just more of him shooting the different guns that Steve had, but I was afraid I would distract him and he would accidently shoot me or Steve or Alicia, or himself.  Not as a discredit to him, he had great aim and behaved very professionally (no pistol twirling like I imagined) but I was very nervous.  I also felt like I should be kind of respectful of something that is capable of taking human life.  I didn't want to trivialize it with too many pose pictures.  
I am still uncomfortable around guns and I don't understand the whole fascination some men have with them and shooting things.  But it made me happy to do something that Joe really wanted to do.  There were 5 or 6 times where I wished I had taken a picture of his face and the pure boyish joy and excitement that I saw there.  So while I can't understand the source of it this time, I sure do love seeing my husband really happy.

8 comments:

Kira said...

how fun is that????!!!!!!!!

Kearl said...

My thoughts on guns has changed. It's weird that I actually enjoy shooting guns- I think I like the power behind them, and I grew up in Montana where EVERYONE has at least 4-5 guns, which are regularly out and about. I mean, I remember tons of times where my dad and brothers would get back from hunting and just leave the guns sitting in the corner of our living room for a couple of days in case they wanted to go back out. Now though, I'm with you. They give me heebie-jeebies, and I would never allow one in my house. That's nice that you did it for him though.

Lillie said...

You're such a good wife Lace. I can imagine Joe's boyish joy with it all. Maybe some day I'll give in to Ross' requests.

Jeanette said...

How FUN!!! I actually have wanted to take Ryon to a shooting range for a long time for date night, but we don't have a gun, and he thinks we'd have to bring our own?:) That, and I'd like to rent Harley Davidson's to just ride around town... I took hunter's safety as a 12 year old and then went deer hunting with my dad, but since my time in Wisconsin, guns haven't been a big part of my life, I kind of miss them...:) You are such a great wife, I just fed Ryon for Valentine's Day:)

Unknown said...

Um hi...you look AMAZING. I am pretty sure I say that everytime I post on your blog, but seriously I am "genuinely" JEALOUS. We need to catch up soon. Miss you tons-

Heather said...

That is so funny!! Jimmy wanted a gun for Christmas, but I said no way. I am not totally opposed to guns, I just did not understand why all of a sudden he needed or wanted one. He still instists on getting one, so I will probably be in the same boat about forgiving after the fact :-) We sure wish that we could see you guys more often!

~Heather

The Nielsen Family said...

Good for you Lacy and Happy Belated Birthday!

Michelle Knight said...

I'm so uncomfortable around them too. Ryan thinks having a daughter = needing a gun, and I keep telling him no. :)

But it looks like you guys had a lot of fun! Good for you for being willing to participate in what Joe loves to do!