Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rotary



On Wednesday night Joe was installed as his Rotary Club's (the Rotary Club of Downtown Gainesville) new President. It was a very special evening for our little family. Before the formal "installation" we had dinner with the group and Leslie, the previous President shared her thanks for the board that she had worked with through her presidency and handed out various plaques of recognition for those who served. Then she came to her last item to hand out. The "Rotarian of the Year" award was chosen by nominations by club members. Her words were..."We got many nominations. But there was one name that kept popping up... Joe Lowry Jr." I can't tell you how proud I was of Joe at that moment. I knew how dedicated he was to serving Rotary and to serving the community. But it was very special to see that so many other people not even in our circle of family or close friends saw that, too. It was a special moment and if anyone was looking at me they would have seen me beaming with pride. (Joe's mom was standing right behind me and I'm sure she was beaming just as much!) I am usually very private during moments of crisis or celebration- I know that is weird- but I didn't care if everyone saw how happy I was for my husband and how happy I am that HE is mine. He was so humble and sincere when he accepted the award. He remarked that there were others in the group to whom he would have given the award before giving it to himself.

The evening just got better as he was named the new President. He was asked to give a few remarks, and of course he was prepared. I know that every president or anyone in any kind of leadership has their own gifts to offer those they serve. But I really think that Joe has some gifts that are especially suited for good leadership. He is humble yet extremely confident- he is very well spoken and eloquent on his worst day- and of course he is smart and funny, too! Oh and he is great to look at! Anyway, way to go Joe! You are so amazing- I am so proud of you and I promise to try not to be annoyed when you are gone so much due to Rotary this next year! I love you!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats Joe, I would have voted for you as well. I have always admired and thought so highly of you. Lacy, I have been blog stalking Lillies blog and you both are so stinkin' beautiful. I know how much you love to go home and visit you family, so I am sure it was such a great trip. I miss you guys so much and hope to see you soon. Much love-

Lillie said...

I'M beaming with pride just reading this. I feel like Joe was meant to be my brother. It's a good thing you married him. I'm not one bit surprised that he won it though. That's so Joe.

What a great post Lace.

Kira said...

CONGRATULATIONS JOE!!!!

Linz said...

Way to go, Joe!:)

Da Costa said...

Congrats Joe! You rock! :0)

Chris said...

It was awesome being there in person. I was also beaming with pride for my brother. Someone who has taught me so much and has always been there for me!

Melody said...

Of course he's amazing, because every great man has a great woman...and you are just as amazing!!!

Nathan and Emily said...

Wow! You are really on your way to becoming a pillar of the community! If they only knew what was in store:) I am so happy for you guys! Way to make a difference!
Love you!

The Nielsen Family said...

Rotary President is just the beginning for Joe. I am sure he will have "President" or some leadership title by his name several times through out his life. Joe is one of the only true natural born leaders I know. And of course he couldn't do anything he does with out his incredible wife by his side.

The Nielsen Family said...

Joe,
this is just the prelude to your becoming the President of the United States. I will vote for you and support you all the way and you don't even have to offer me a cabinet position - but I wouldn't mind coming aboard air force one as often as possible.
Seriously though Joe, congrats on the award and the new reign of your power. We're proud of you man.
Matty Matt