Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A Good Day

We woke up. Ate breakfast. Did some chores. Went to the park. Took naps. Worked on my calling and made a hair appointment. Answered some email. Made some phones calls. Cooked the chicken for fajitas for dinner. Did more chores. Played with Joseph. Learned about farm animals. Played the ukulele. Went for a walk to collect rocks. Learned about farm animals again and matching and taping and sticking to the wall. More dinner prep and help from Joseph. Daddy came home. Went to the gym. Kids sweetly off to bed. Daddy to gym. Dinner. Watched American Idol. A great day.

Something I am learning about myself as a mother is that I need stuff. Toys, workbooks, props... help at entertaining and teaching my children. A month or so ago a friend (thanks Lauren) recommended the Brighter Vision Learning Adventures as a good resource for "teaching" small children. I looked it up and requested a trial packet to see if it would help get the wheels turning in his head. (Not that he needs help thinking or learning, he is very bright. Just that he is happier with a task or project- something that engages him. Adults are the same- you get the picture.) Some moms I see and compare myself to seem to have a hang on creating games, projects, and crafts for their kids. They print off pictures, color and laminate them and viola... a quiet book for church! Can't I just buy one of those?! Don't get me wrong, I do see the value in creating something with your own hands but when do these moms have time to do it all? No, what I need right now is the good old fashioned dollar so I can buy what somebody else has put in so much time to create. I have strayed... So anyway, today after nap-time we opened our trial packet. The theme was Farm Animals and even though he already knows all his barnyard animals and their noises there were some fun activities that gave him a chance to practice fine motor skills like putting together puzzle pieces and placing stickers in a very precise spot. He seemed to really enjoy it and what might be even more important is that I enjoyed it. I felt like a good mother trying her best to teach. My mind was engaged with the little tasks that I had to do like cutting things out and asking him questions about simple barnyard scenes. The energy and excitement in our toy room was so much higher than other days when I sit on the floor and take hold of some toys with great intentions, but find myself nodding off and wishing that I could go and do all the chores waiting to be done. Obviously Brighter Vision is not going to solve all of my problems but, for now, it seems to be just what my little guy needs. That said, if any one is reading and has other suggestions for materials that would help to teach and entertain a 2 1/2 year old let me know.



(Baby Evan did not want to pose for his picture or bend at the hips for that matter.)

6 comments:

Jlowryjr said...

What a woman! What a mom! You're the best!

Jlowryjr said...

By the way, I still can't believe that we even have a 2 1/2 year old, much less 2 kids.

Lillie said...

Ok --- WHY oh why don't you write more often??!! (Well I guess because you've been too busy trying to entertain your little guy) this was too fun to read. So fun in fact that I went back and read it twice. I know you mentioned that play-packet thing to me before, but now I'm sold. How much was it? I'm ordering one today. Our talk the other day about the TV just about converted me to boycotting it a little, but I just haven't had the courage.

Those "good-mom days" are the best. Soak it up sista. You are a GREAT mom.

Alicia said...

Lacy I loved your blog entry... you should express yourself more often I so enjoyed it!! You are such an amazing mom just recap of the day you had.. WOW you got alot done and at the end of the day you can pat yourself on the back and say yeah I did! then crash in bed :)

The Nielsen Family said...

It is a relief to hear another mom express exactly what I feel, especially about the good intentions of sitting down to play toys with your child. Sometimes it is so hard to be totally "there" with your child. What are the ages for that play-packet? I love "good mommy" days!!

Becky said...

that sounds like a fun day. i can't wait for the day when i don't have to wait on tables and i can play animal games with my little ones. isn't american idol the best. sorry, i am not too much help when it comes to entertaining 2 year olds. i can tell you what i do to entertain my husband though. he likes music, dancing, funny movies and good treats.