Friday, February 22, 2008

Forever Family




I am sure most of you know how hard it is to get a picture with the whole family dressed and looking semi-decent. Well, Joseph's sweaty hair notwithstanding, this is it for us! Every year I have a hard time with the Christmas card/picture because I want it to be perfect but it never is. So, this photo was taken at the beginning of February when we were at the Temple for Justin and Kira's sealing to their adopted baby boy Evan. It was a beautiful sealing as most are but was especially sweet due to the very real display of love between Justin and Kira and Evan, Kira's parents and Kira, Justin and Kira and the birth grandmother, and the birth grandmother and baby Evan. The relationship between J and K and the birth mother has been so astounding and impressive. I have not known another couple to adopt so I am not sure what the "norm" is. But I suspect that most people do not pursue much of a relationship with the birthmother of their baby. J and K have been the opposite. If they are ever in her neighborhood on the way to play in a fresh water spring they will call her and invite her to come and see Evan. They overlap activities in the church so she can see Evan, they correspond by email and phone calls and highly value their relationship with her. Recently they purchased and new car and GAVE her their old one. It is so amazing to me because it is such a pure Christlike thing to do. I feel like I've seen the gospel come full circle and so many lives have been blessed by people seeking the guidance of the spirit and then following it. That said, I am pretty sure the birth mother never intended to get pregnant and give the baby up for adoption- BUT the fact that once that occurred she was strong and decisive in her choice to give the baby to a family that could provide her with a loving and safe environment with a mother and father and the gospel of Jesus Christ. I am so grateful for the Temple and the blessings that we receive from going there.

6 comments:

Lillie said...

What a great post Lacy-- It really is amazing, they're relationship with the birth mother. How neat that it can be such a sweet experience for everyone. Gorgeous picture of the family-- how is Joseph the only sweaty one? Are you not my sister and don't we get hotter than everyone? Was he running around outside while you guys were in the sealing? Ah ha.

Millie looks like a perfect little angel-- so cute.

Ingrid said...

Truly a beautiful and moving post.

Da Costa said...

I have to agree Lace. It was a beautiful post and probably extra touching for me too, since I was there. It's simply a testament of forever families and the love that He has for us.

And the family picture is great! You look amazing! :0)

Jlowryjr said...

Wait, Irene- you were there?

Just kidding.

Unknown said...

Hi Lace-
What a special day for everyone. I have met them a couple of times, so please tell them how how we are for them. I love what the gospel does for us as families!! I miss you so much and would LOVE nothing more than to catch up on the phone. Please email me your phone number(sericheson@hotmail.com). I love you all-

The Nielsen Family said...

What a beautiful post full of beautiful people. Matt and I are also very excited for J and K and see their story as so amazing in so many ways.

I love your hair!! You look so great. And I was in shock to see how big Millie is getting.

Thanks for the post!!