Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

I love being a mother. Recently I had my second child, Millie. She is just over two weeks old and is an absolute angel. She has long slender fingers, long slender feet, blue eyes, a sweet little rosebud mouth, a perfect little chin and nose. She was born with thick dark hair (which I am sure she is already losing) and chubby cheeks. It has been so fun to be a mother to both a little boy and a sweet baby girl. Despite the angelic nature of my daughter and the amazing energy and exuberance of my son I have days of less than perfect warm fuzzy feelings. I know it is all part of life- we have to take the good with the bad. After over two weeks of staying home with the babies and trying to find fullfillment in nursing every 2 hours, 1 hour, or every hour and a half, and squeezing in a load of laundry or a sink full of dishes or letting my son work out some energy jumping on the bed, yesterday I was feeling a little bit not like myself. I am sure my hormones are trying to work themselves out as well, and after spending half the morning crying at any silly thing my husband sent me shopping. I only had two hours to make my mood right but somehow it was enough. The mall was incredibly busy with what seemed like every family in town. The thought occured to me that for mother's day most moms would probably not mind taking the whole family shopping if dad comes along. I was there alone and I appreciated that fact as I tried on gobs and gobs of clothing that still does not fit this body. But seeing other families out and about trying to keep all it's members happy made me miss my little family and even the craziness that they inspire. The other night I was up with Millie and trying to help her go back to sleep despite her tummy ache. I had been feeling tired and grumpy and frustrated that we were having such a rough night. I looked out our window and saw the moon in the sky and for some reason it brought peace to my heart and all I felt was gratitude to a Heavenly Father who would give me this child, even a child who would keep me up at night. I was grateful. Within minutes Millie had worked up her tummy ache and was fast asleep in my arms. I guess what I am trying to say is I am learning that motherhood is wonderful and beautiful and can drive you absolutely insane. During the insane moments it is good to remind myself , "Look you are doing it! You are doing it well! Keep going- keep working- they are turning out okay!"
On this Mother's Day I am extremely grateful to be a mom. When I came home from shopping yesterday all I wanted to do was sit on the couch and nurse my baby as my son ran around the room and jumped from the couch to the floor. I felt real happiness as I looked around and realized that these were my children and that this was my life. What greater Mother's Day gift could I receive? So to all you mothers out there- look you are doing it- you are doing it well- keep it up!

3 comments:

Lillie said...

Ok so this was inspiring. SO glad you wrote it- sometimes I think you have no idea how good a mom you are. The other day when you said to me about vacations "yeah it's harder with them but it's so rewarding... that's why we have kids you know?" it stuck. I keep thinking that when it's hard... it's supposed to be hard so it can be more rewarding, that's why we have kids... so our lives CAN revolve around them. That really is what it's all about- joy and rejoicing...

But a couple hours at the mall alone is ALWAYS a good thing.

Jlowryjr said...

I told her it was one of the best things that she's ever written.

le said...

one of the best pieces of advice i've heard about motherhood is this: "the days are long but the years are short." as we watch j. and s. grow, it's easy to see that's true. and now here are c. and a. to show us again those little daily miracles. it's easy to understand why we need a break from them every now and then, and also why we can't wait to get back. you are a wonderful mother and i'm glad to know you!