Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Small Victory


Today I had one of those moments where you feel like, "This is why I stay home with my kids. This makes all the tough stuff worth it."  

As of yesterday I thought it would take months for Joseph to warm back up to the pool. As of yesterday he would not practice any of his former swimming skills. We've been swimming off and on for a month already but he would not jump in the pool from the side- even where he could touch. He would not put his face or head in the water and if there was a float around he begged to be in it and "swim" on top of the water. He would not let me hold him in the water.  He would not try to swim anywhere, to me, from me, or by himself. Even though he took lessons and swam well last summer, he insisted that he could not do any of those things. That he was too scared and there was no way. He would not listen to bribes or reason or playful attempts to get him in the water.  We left the pool feeling discouraged to say the least.

I don't know if it was the heat and nice temperature of the pool, or the fact that it was just the three of us, or if it was Millie swimming that looked so fun, but today he swam.  He started out sitting on the steps but he quickly began putting his face in the water and laughing, swimming in place over the steps, and gradually swimming farther and farther distances under water from the steps to the wall.  It was fantastic. He even started experimenting with a new skill: picking up his head mid-swim and taking a few breaths or continuing with the doggy paddle.  All he required of me was attention and lots and lots of praise. Now, that I can do.

The best part of the whole thing is how pleased he was with himself.  How the fear was gone and replaced by confidence and joy at having tackled that fear.  He did not want to leave the pool- he was having so much fun.  I actually looked around and thought, "What better thing could I be doing with my time?"

I do have those moments, frequently. I should write them down more often so I remember how amazing it is to be a mother.  

11 comments:

Another Piece Of Chocolate said...

Great experience to share!! That is a wonderful plan - to write down all those precious moments and focus on them rather than the "occasional" difficult times. Keep on blogging them and inspiring us all :- )

Michelle Knight said...

Yay Joseph! Don't you just love seeing your child pleased with himself? :)

You are such a good mommy!

Lauren said...

Yay, he did it! I knew he would, and it's awesome that he did it without a "refresher" from Miss Lauren. I'm going to call you soon, and I'd still love to see him in action on Thursday, if you'd like!

Kira said...

yeah!!!

Linz said...

Sooo cool, Lacy!! What a great, uplifting story. You are an awesome mom, definitely an inspiration!

Tori said...

Yeah! So glad to hear it!

Unknown said...

i barely recognize him in the photo- getting so big! good story too!

Ingrid said...

Big victory! We had a similar experience with Tommy when we re-introduced the pool to him this season. I was thinking I needed to take a trip to G-ville to see Ms. Lauren STAT! But, he is out there like a fish now, just had to overcome that initial fear and get lots of deserving praise. I love these moments, Lacy, and I really appreciate that you shared this. It is these moments that remind us what a joy it is to be a mother, that our children need us, and that we need them. You are inspiring, Lacy.

Lillie said...

What a cool kid. Of course he'd get over his fear--- he's like the smartest kid I know... he just actually thinks about what he's doing and had to decide it was more fun than scary. Oh I miss you guys. Talking to Ross...

The Nielsen Family said...

I think that is the best feeling a mother can get when they see their child having Pride in themselves. I love seeing that sparkle in Carter's eyes!!

cwitt said...

YAY JOSEPH :)